Tudor MT5402 Caliber Specifications & Guide
The Tudor watch company has more and more gone in the direction of developing and manufacturing in-house movements. This is a natural evolution considering its bigger brother Rolex develops and manufactures all of its movements in-house.
Thanks to Rolex’s expertise and know-how, Tudor can also slowly but surely move in that direction. Using in-house movements is something that is well-regarded in the watch-industry due to the fact that it shows that you are a watch company that means serious business that invests in research, development, and manufacturing.
Since Tudor released its first in-house movement in 2015, together with the new North Flag 91210N. This was the first in-house movement from Tudor, but more would follow soon after.
One of those movements is the MT5402.
MT stands for ”manufacture Tudor” and means that it is a Tudor manufactured movement (in-house).
The MT5402 was introduced in 2018 together with the Heritage Black Bay Fifty-Eight 79030N. In 2016, Tudor released the new in-house version of the Black Bay, however, since the Black Bay Fifty-Eight has a smaller case both in thickness and diameter, Tudor had to develop a new, smaller movement to fit into the case.
The MT5402 replaced the ETA 2824-2 as the movement for Tudor’s smaller watches. The movement is an automatic movement, that includes features like central seconds and a bi-directional winding system.
Just like Rolex, Tudor does not finish its movements to a super high degree. Instead, the movements are meant to look robust and reliable. The Tudor MT5402 is finished in an industrial finish with not a lot of decoration, but when it comes to Tudor and Rolex, the decoration of the movement is not the point. They are instead meant to be reliable workhorses that continue to tick year after year.
Tudor caliber MT5402 Specifications
The Tudor Caliber MT5402 is a 27 jewel movement that beats with a frequency of 28800.
It is self-winding and has a power reserve of approximately 70 hours. It displays hours, minutes, and seconds. It is a certified Chronometer.
Tudor MT5402 Specifications
- Caliber reference: MT5402
- Type: Automatic. Bidirectional rotor
- Display: Analog
- Jewels: 27
- Diameter: 26mm
- Power reserve: 70 hours
- Frequency: 28800
- Chronometer certified (COSC)
- Display: Hours, minutes, seconds. Stopping seconds.
Models using the MT5402 as of 2022
- 79030N-0001 – Tudor Heritage Black Bay Fifty-Eight Stainless Steel on a steel bracelet.
- 79030N-0002 – Tudor Heritage Black Bay Fifty-Eight on a leather strap.
- 79030N-0003 – Tudor Heritage Black Bay Fifty-Eight on a Fabric strap.
- 79030B-0001 – Tudor Heritage Black Bay Fifty-Eight Blue on steel bracelet.
- 79030B-0003 – Tudor Heritage Black Bay Fifty-Eight blue on the fabric strap.
- 79030B-0002 – Tudor Heritage Black Bay Fifty-Eight on blue “soft touch” leather strap.
- 79950-0003 – Tudor Heritage Ranger on fabric strap.
- 79950-0001 – Tudor Heritage Ranger on steel bracelet.
- 79950-0002 – Tudor Heritage Ranger with leather strap.